POTATO SKINS ARE PERFECT FOR HOCKEY NIGHTS. THIS IS AN APPETIZER THAT CAN BE EATEN HOT, WARM, COLD, REHEATED, DIPPED, RIGHT AFTER ENJOYING A HOUSE OF BBQ EXPERTS CHICKEN WING, WITH A BEER OR EVEN RIGHT AFTER BRUSHING YOUR TEETH IF YOU’RE FEELING EXTRA CRAZY. 😜
Because potato skins have an interesting mix of textures, a very high cheese content and a good amount of bacon, they’re rarely drafted last and, to me and everyone who’s tasted my recipe, it is definitely a top scorer—the Wayne Gretzky of appetizers. 😎
Side note, my brother and I have also served these stuffed with poutine for the American Royal in Kansas City, and it was absolutely delicious. So yes, it’s a tried and true favorite 😉 This recipe is simple, effective, and most importantly, delicious. Get your taste buds ready because they’ll go crazy! 👌
Here’s how to make my signature recipe:
- Olive oil, for prep
- 4 large potatoes
- House of BBQ Experts California Spice Mix and Rub, to taste
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion
- Preheat the grill to 350°F.
- Pour the olive oil in a bowl and toss the potatoes in it.
- Remove the potatoes from the oil and sprinkle them with the California spice mix.
- Use a knife to slice the potatoes in half and set them on the grill in the indirect heat zone, skin side down. Let them cook for 30 minutes.
- Lay the bacon on the grill’s upper rack, over the potatoes, and cook until crisp. (If your grill has only one rack, cook the bacon in the indirect heat zone or on a plate).
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream, cream cheese and cheddar cheese until well combined. Set aside.
- Once ready, chop the bacon slices, then do the same with the green onion. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are ready, take them off the grill and scoop out some of the potato flesh. Stuff the potatoes with the sour cream mixture and sprinkle with bacon bits and green onion.
Serve and enjoy!