Today’s recipe is pure amazingness! You know me, I thrive on succeeding culinary challenges, adding a twist to traditional recipes, and cooking them on the BBQ (because, let’s face it, everything is possible with indirect heat!). That’s why I decided to prepare one of the most praised comfort foods on Earth: a lasagna! But, as you know, I like to get creative when I cook, so this is no ordinary lasagna. Nuh-uh! As a huge taco fan, I decided to add a Mexican touch to it to make this dish original and delicious… and I am pleased to report that I succeeded making a “next level Mexican lasagna”!
This hearty and easy-to-cook recipe always finds a way to bring me joy because of its popularity among my family. I am then certain that whoever you cook this for will want some more after they’ve had a piece. 👌
Without further ado, I now present you the perfect recipe to wow everyone at the table:
- 1 pack store-bought tortillas (about 10)
- 1 pound minced meat, your choice
- 1 pack store-bought taco seasoning
- Salsa, to taste
- House of BBQ Experts’ Tex-Max Style dry rub, to taste (optional)
- Refried beans, to taste
- Corn kernels, to taste
- Grated cheese mix, your choice (I recommend cheddar, monterey jack, and colby), to taste
- Black beans, to taste
- Jalapenos, to taste (optional)
- Place the pizza stone in the middle of the BBQ in indirect heat (in the case of a charcoal grill, place the pizza stone on the opposite side of the charcoal) and preheat the BBQ at 300°F. (The pizza stone is used to prevent the bottom of the lasagna from burning.)
- Put the minced meat in a cast-iron skillet and put it on the grill, next to the pizza stone. Start cooking the meat and pour the taco seasonings over the meat during the process. Follow the instructions from the pouch, and once the meat is fully cooked, set it aside. (If there is no space next to your pizza stone, it is possible to cook the meat directly on top of it, but be aware that the cooking process will take a longer amount of time. Another option is to cook the meat prior to starting working on the recipe.)
- In a bowl, mix the salsa with some Tex-Max Style dry rub until the result is homogeneous. Set aside. (This step is optional, but it will give a spicy touch to the dish.)
- Put a round cocotte that can go on the BBQ over your pizza stone and place a tortilla (or more, for a thicker result) in the bottom. Add, in order and in a layered manner, the refried beans and the corn kernels over the tortilla.
- Add another tortilla (or more) over the kernels before pouring and spreading the meat on top of it.
- Add another layer of tortilla over the meat. Keep layering by adding in the grated cheese mix, the salsa, and the black beans on top of it all.
- Sprinkle some delicious, but mighty jalapenos on top of the lasagna to add some intensity to each bite. (This step is optional, but recommended for those looking for a more heat-intense result.)
- Let the lasagna cook in indirect heat for about 40 minutes (or until the cheese is all melted), without putting the lid on the cocotte.
- Take out the lasagna from the BBQ and cut it like a pie. Serve each portion with some guacamole*, sour cream, and/or salsa for an even more delightful experience.
- Enjoy every bite to the fullest and savor the moment!
* For an ultra-tasty guacamole, I invite you to add some House of BBQ Experts’ Argentina Style dry rub in your avocado preparation.
Have a good BBQ!