EVERYTHING GOES ON THE GRILL… EVEN BREAD!
Well, in all honesty I’d never made bread before a few weeks ago. But since I like to challenge myself, I figured I had to do it! The only person I’d ever seen make bread was my grandmother when I was 10-12 years old, did I take notes? No. But… I should have! 🤦
NOW, I’ve got something for you! 😎
The recipe is pretty simple and doesn’t require much.
Let’s get started!
- Cast-iron skillet
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (add a little more to shape the ball later as needed)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. House of BBQ Experts California Spice Mix and Rub
- 2 tsp. House of BBQ Experts Argentina Spice Mix and Rub
- 1 tsp. House of BBQ Experts Booster
- 8 g instant yeast (I personally use Fleischmann’s packets)
- 500 ml warm water
- A little vegetable oil for cooking
- Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning, to taste
- Combine flour, salt, California and Argentina dry rubs, Booster and yeast in a large bowl. Add water and mix with a large wooden spoon.
- Add flour, if necessary, to prevent the dough from sticking together, and form the mixture into a ball.
- Keeping it in the bowl, fold the bottom of the dough over the top. Repeat the process for about 10 minutes, until the dough is round.
- Place a warm washcloth over the bowl, without letting the cloth touch the dough, and place it in the oven for 45 minutes. (Do not turn on the oven for this step)
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to 400°F with an indirect cooking zone.
- Brush the cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil and, when the ball of dough has been in the oven for 45 minutes, place it on the skillet.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning and set the skillet in the indirect cooking zone.
- Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the outside of the ball has slightly browned.
- Take it off the grill and let the bread cool slightly before slicing it.
- Serve and enjoy!
What I love about this bread is that the end result is more textured than the “breakfast” style bread you find at the grocery store. It has a similar density to a baguette, which makes it perfect to pair with your cheeses, terrines, or even hummus (speaking of hummus, try adding a little House of BBQ Experts New Delhi Spice Mix and Rub to your mix for the best possible outcome 😉 )
Happy grilling, friends!