When we think of “gnocchi”, we think of a fancy meal from a great restaurant. We rarely dare to prepare them ourselves, and we often find ourselves making those in bags at the grocery store. In reality, it’s much easier than you think to make them and even more delicious when it’s homemade! Especially this squash gnocci recipe.
Traditional gnocchi are made from mashed potatoes and flour, but today I’ll offer my version with butternut squash. The sweet side of the squash makes the dish even more sweet. When its served with a tangy white butter sauce and herbs, it’s the perfect match!
So here’s all my tips for making these gnocchi, obviously, on the BBQ!
For the gnocchi
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 4
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 candied garlic cloves *
- 1 tsp. tablespoon of House of BBQ Experts Explorer spice rub
- 1 tsp. tablespoon of House of BBQ Experts Argentina spice rub
- Avocado oil
For the sauce
- 3 gray shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup of white wine
- ½ cup of cream
- ¾ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- Chopped fresh flat parsley
- Parmesan cheese
Preparation of the gnocchi:
- Preheat the BBQ to a temperature of 400 ° F, with an indirect zone.
- Cut the squash into quarters, remove the filaments and seeds (keep to make delicious pumpkin seeds smoked or roasted on the bbq!).
- Brush with avocado oil, then sprinkle with Explorer spice and Argentina spice rub
- Place the 4 pieces of squash on the House of BBQ Experts Veggie Rack
- Cook in the indirect zone for about 45 minutes, or until the flesh is tender.
- Remove the flesh, puree and let cool.
- Keep 2 cups of mash for the recipe, and put the rest in the fridge or freezer for future use.
- Add the garlic, salt and egg while beating, then mix in the flour gradually until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes, then put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and separate the dough into 4, then make 4 rolls about 1 cm in diameter.
- Cut into sections about 1 cm long. Sprinkle with flour.
- Add half the gnocchi at a time to the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are tender.
Preparation of the sauce:
- On the direct cooking grill, brown the shallots in a little butter until they are translucent.
- Add the wine and reduce to allow the alcohol to evaporate a little.
- Add the cream and allow to reduce in indirect cooking.
- Remove from the bbq and whisk, adding the butter cubes one by one.
You can add your gnocchi in the pan with the sauce and add the herbs and bacon. I like to serve my gnocchi in bowls and put parmesan on top for the finish. A great recipe for a Saturday evening to impress your guests!
Want to check out a wide variety of premium BBQs, tools and accessories? Head over the the House of BBQ Experts for all your BBQing needs!
Prefer to shop in French? Rendez-vous sur notre site web BBQ Quebec pour magasiner tout ce dont vous avez besoin!