Brazilian Picanha Beef recipe
Pica-what? Picanha! That’s right: if you’re looking for a great cut to eat in winter – actually, this cut is great in any season – then look no further!
Now, what is picanha beef?
Picanha is a cut of beef which is increasingly sought after by meat lovers. Also called queen of steaks, in the Brazilian or Portugese BBQ culture it is known as THE piece of beef.
This cut of beef is so unique because of its cut and shape. It looks like a duck breast because there is a nice layer of fat on top. This fat will melt on the bbq and give the picanha beef its characteristic taste and tenderness.
Cooking method: Reverse cooking on charcoal BBQ
Wood: Oak wood pieces
Rubs: House of BBQ Experts Steakenator spice rub and House of BBQ Experts Argentina spice rub
- Remove any membrane from the side of the meat.
- Cut the piece into pieces from an inch to an inch and a half thick in the direction of the grain.
- Season both sides of the piece evenly with Steakenator.
- Return to the fridge in the open air for approximately 2 hours. This will firm up the sides of the pieces and get a better crust in the final bite.
- Cook picanha steaks to 95°F internal before turning.
- At 125°F internal, remove and place on a cutting board.
- Mop up with paper towels.
- Brush the steaks with a layer of oil and melted butter, then add a dash of Argentina spice.
- Sear up to a temperature of 140 ° F internal to allow the upper layer of fat to melt a little.
- Slice in the opposite direction of the fiber and serve!
Picanha is not too expensive so don’t hesitate to ask your butcher for it. Share it with your friends and family!
Want to check out a wide variety of premium BBQs, tools and accessories? Head over the the House of BBQ Experts for all your BBQing needs!
Prefer to shop in French? Rendez-vous sur notre site web BBQ Quebec pour magasiner tout ce dont vous avez besoin!