Duck and candied onion Benedict recipe
Valentine’s Day is coming, and I thought of you because I’m a nice guy. I’ve concocted a small breakfast menu for you to cook up for that special person. Or just for yourself, that works too.
People often think that Benedict eggs are difficult to make and that we can only eat them in restaurants. Think again! Not only is my recipe very easy, but it is (obviously) made on the BBQ! Yes sir!
I put my own favourite ingredients in it, but don’t hesitate to vary the toppings according to the tastes of the person for whom you’re cooking!
The following recipe is for two portions (you only have to double to make four portions)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 1 duck leg
- An ounce of Grand Marnier
- 2 English muffins cut in half
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 C. Butter
- 1 C. Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Camembert cheese (or the cheese that tempts you!)
- Hollandaise sauce (the recipe below for the more experienced, but possible to use one from the grocery store)
- Cut the onions into thin slices.
- Brown them in a pan in butter and oil over direct heat.
- Once they’re caramelized, add the balsamic vinegar, then the maple syrup, and allow to be candied indirectly. The time may vary, so trust the consistency.
- Reheat the duck according to the directions on the package.
- In a saucepan of water, add the white vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Place the eggs in the water. For runny eggs, let them cook for about 2 minutes.
- At the same time as the eggs are cooking, put the half English muffins on the BBQ.
Putting it together:
Put the onions on the English muffins, then the camembert, the duck, the egg, and finally, coat with hollandaise sauce.
There are many ways to actually make the Hollandaise sauce, but I find the easiest way is in the microwave!
1. 3 egg yolks
2. ½ lemon or 1 tsp. At table
3. Pinch of salt
4. House of BBQ Experts Ketchot sauce (quantity to your taste depending on the spicy level you want)
5. ½ of melted butter
a. In a microwave-safe dish, whisk together all the ingredients except the butter.
b. Gradually add in the melted butter.
c. Bake in microwave oven at 20 second intervals, whisking between each time, until desired consistency.
d. If it’s too thick, you can add a little water and whisk again.
Want to check out a wide variety of premium BBQs, tools and accessories? Head over the the House of BBQ Experts for all your BBQing needs!
Prefer to shop in French? Rendez-vous sur notre site web BBQ Quebec pour magasiner tout ce dont vous avez besoin!