Blueberry and Strawberry Crumble Skillet
Berry season is going strong right now and I’m sure most of you are on the lookout for new ways to get the most out of your fresh blueberries, blackberries and strawberries.
Although it’s always fun and refreshing to just toss them in whipped cream, sometimes, you just need a change and wish to step up your game.
A nice and easy way to do this is to cook a fruit crumble, directly on your BBQ. This recipe takes no time and it’s easy to pull off so it’s a great way to get your kids to enjoy cooking on the grill.
Cooking dessert and fruits on a BBQ is something that will feel odd for most people at first, but it will quickly grow on you once you’ve tasted a grilled crumble.
Crumbles, just like cobblers, are desserts which are very similar to pies, to the exception that they are simply topped with some sort of granola, baked pastry or dough. This dessert makes for a juicy and savory dish, with lots of texture to play with.
Although most pies are baked in a pie pan directly in the oven, we will be cooking our crumble in a cast-iron skillet on a Kamado Joe. It doesn’t get better for a“summer vibe” than this.
Pro tip: For those of you who are not yet familiar with cast-iron skillets, know that they hold up a lot of heat over time.
For dessert and sugar-loaded contents, you always want to cook a bit lower than you normally would in an oven. This way, you will not burn ingredients on the bottom of your skillet while achieving a nice and sticky caramelization of your fruits.
Furthermore, keep in mind that the “carry over”, cooking process extended from residual heat once taken out of the BBQ, will be greater than with a pie pan. You should always give your desserts lots of time to cool down before digging in.
Last but not least, of course, always work with silicone gloves when working with a skillet. Safety first!
Blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are at their peak right now, so we will be leveraging these seasonal fruits but keep in mind that just about any fruits would work here. I always enjoy mixing a very sweet fruit to an acidic one for a more balanced bite. If your fruits are all on the sweet side, you can always add a touch of lemon zest and juice to lighten up the flavors and bring a nice citrusy touch to the dish.
Finally, top this recipe with some vanilla ice cream and you have yourself a vitamin packed summer dessert that will have the kids and neighbors asking for more.
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon of House of BBQ Expert Cake spice
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- Preheat your BBQ to 375F. I suggest using heat deflectors if you have any to even out the cooking process in the skillet.
- Coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cake spice, and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss all of your fruits with lemon juice and lemon zest. Sprinkle sugar mixture over top and toss gently to combine. Be mindful not to squash your blueberries.
- Pour berries into the cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Reusing your large bowl, toss all of your crumble ingredients together and mix well.
- Lay your crumble on top of your fruits and place on the BBQ for 40 minutes, with the cover closed.
Pro tip: At this stage, I like to throw in a handful of cherry pellets into my smoker just to add some smoke and a nice spin on a classic.
- Pull out and let rest for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
- Optional: Add a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and a dab of extra cake spice on top.
This dessert will become one of your go-to I’m sure, to enjoy fruits year round. Other great combinations are apples and raspberries or peaches and apricots. Allow yourself to get creative and let us know what works best for you!